North of Oak Woods Cemetery is Jackson Park, site of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. The "White City" is gone now, destroyed by fire shortly after the end of the Fair. There are only two remnants: at the north end of the park, the Museum of Science and Industry, and, at the south end, the Statue of the Republic.
The Statue of the Republic was created by sculptor Daniel Chester French, a sixty-five foot figure atop a forty-foot base. This plaster statue was covered with gold leaf, and portrayed a woman holding a globe, an eagle, and a lance. It symbolized the Republic of the United States and the republican form of government.
This replica of the original now stands on the former site of the Administration Building, facing east toward its former position near the east end of the Court of Honor. The Court of Honor itself is no more.