Mt. Olivet was the first Catholic cemetery on the South side of Chicago. Archbishop Patrick Feehan purchased the land for $40,000 in 1884. Previously, most of the south side Irish had been buried in Calvary, far to the north of the city. Mt. Olivet was consecrated June 28, 1885, with fifteen thousand people attending the ceremony.
|Byrne||Patrick and Catherine O'Leary|
|Welch||Ancient Order of Hibernians|
|Irish Nationalist Society||Father Murray|
© 1996 Matt Hucke
All content (text and photographs) by Matt Hucke, unless otherwise indicated.