Rushville City Cemetery

Rushville

Schuyler County was established in 1825 on the west bank of the Illinois River, named for Revolutionary War Major General Philip John Schuyler.1 Its county seat of Rushton was founded the following year, named for local physician D.B. Rush. The city's name soon became Rushville.2 Today, Rushville is a city of about 3200 people.

At the southeast corner of Rushville, several dry creek beds converge, leading to a wooded area and eventually to the Illinois River, about eight miles to the southeast. The creeks left deep furrows in the land, and it is here that Rushville's early citizens built their city cemetery. The rolling terrain gives Rushville City Cemetery an appearance somewhat unusual for the relatively flat state of Illinois.

ENTER: NEXT
View Data

modern entrance sign

wood sign

US Army tank

vista

Rest Haven Mausoleum

Inside the Mausoleum

View South from Mausoleum

Riley

Mausoleum, far

Senator William H. Dieterich

Hemphill obelisk

parallel coping

Scripps obelisk

Power et al

Parrot et al

Snyder group

George Nelson

Octavia Nelson

White

twisty road

Francis Marion Hodge

Thomas and Catherine Armstrong

north gateposts

dark shaft

Harrington

Joseph L Seckman

Webster mausoleum

Webster mausoleum interior

above-webster

Rodewald

Charles Snyder

Snyder, Zinc monument

Rushville cholera memorial

Layton

Packard

Teel and Scott

Briggle

Edna Foote Olson

Stone

Clarke

Robert Guy Parr

Milby

Greer

Wilson Mausoleum

Congressman William H Ray

Thomas Witt

Trapp

John H. McCreery

Milby, Woodman

Nelson

Heitz

Miller

Charles Frisby

rubble

Rushville City Cemetery
1. Wikipedia: Schuyler County, Illinois
2. About Schuyler County, Illinois
graveyards.com - Copyright 1996-2010 Matt Hucke