This pylon, dedicated in 1955, stands in a Veterans section just behind (west) of the Civil War Monument. The section includes space for free burials for local veterans of limited means.
The cannon was captured from the Japanese by General Douglas MacArthur's army in the Phillipines in 1912, and was given to the American Legion Post #158 in the 1950s, and placed here in 1976.
The four sides of the pylon contain dedications to the Army, Air Force, Navy, and (sharing the north side) the Marines and Coast Guard.
graveyards.com - copyright 1996-2002 Matt Hucke