St. James Cemetery,
Sauk Village

Saint James Cemetery, in Sauk Village in the southeast corner of Cook County, is one of four Catholic parish cemeteries that predate the Archdiocese of Chicago.1 The cemetery was established in 1847, in a village that was then called Strassburg or New Strassburg; the name was changed to "Sauk Village" when the town was incorporated in 1957, to avoid confusion with another Strassburg in Illinois.2


  1. Catholic Cemeteries Chicago: History
  2. Illinois Lincoln Highway
copyright 1996-2005 Matt Hucke. All right reserved.