The road into the cemetery passes under a railroad overpass that obscures the view of Rosehill's beautiful main gate. This castellated Gothic structure of Joliet Limestone was built in 1864, designed by architect William W. Boyington. Rosehill's gate was designated a Chicago landmark on October 16, 1980.
The words 'Rosehill Cemetery' are carved into the rectangular area over the arched main entrance, through which General Ransom's grave can be seen. Behind the windows to the right are the offices of the cemetery. In an adjoining building to the left (not shown) is Rosehill's Civil War Museum.