From Moses & Kirkland's History of Chicago, 1895, pp. 604-605:
The originator of Oakwoods Cemetery was Marcus A. Farwell, who owned the land upon which it is located, south of 6th Street and east of Cottage Grove Avenue, comprising 180 acres. The cemetery association was incorporated in 1864, and the plat for the grounds ... was made by the late Adolph Strauch... Over forty-three thousand interments have been made in this cemetery, more than five thousand of which were Confederate soldiers who died while prisoners at Camp Douglas... The prices for lots here range from fifty cents to one dollar per square foot. Single graves are ten dollars for adults and six to eight dollars for children.
This information taken from Genealogical Research at Oak Woods Cemetery
Behind Farwell's monument is the obelisk of Big Bill Thompson.