CONCORDIA is a Lutheran cemetery established in 1872, immediately north of Forest Home (German Waldheim). In 1950, it came to public attention due to the necessity of moving 1500 graves from its southernmost sections in order to build the Eisenhower Expressway, which now separates Concordia and Forest Home.
A CTA elevated train yard and the former location of its track have also left their mark on Concordia, nearly bisecting the cemetery into distinct north and south divisions (see map).
The Des Plaines river defines the western boundary of Concordia.
To the east is the Altenheim Old Peoples' Home, which has a small cemetery of its own for former residents. Markers in Altenheim are small and uniform, made by pouring concrete into a mold.
Visually, Concordia is memorable for the large number of obelisks in the northeasternm sections and the intricately carved marble angels that share that same space.
|East Section||Herbert Schwebke|
|Cluster of Obelisks||Brandt|
|Obelisk & Urn||Pump Haus|
|Chas. F. Thoms||George Johnson|
|Small Angel||Cemetery Vault|
|Angel, Reaching||Draped urn|
|Angel with Flowers||Anchor|
|Ingeman M. Carlsen||Stone Sentinels|
|Selma O. Colbe M.D.|
|Altenheim Main Gate||Altenheim Superintendent|
|Broken Urn||Altenheim/Concordia Fence|
© 2003 Matt Hucke
All content (text and photographs) by Matt Hucke, unless otherwise indicated.